Directive 96/9/EC, the legal protection of databases†
- European Parliament, Council
- This Directive concerns the legal protection of databases in any form.
- For the purposes of this Directive, 'database` shall mean a collection of independent works, data or other materials arranged in a systematic or methodical way and individually accessible by electronic or other means.
- Protection under this Directive shall not apply to computer programs used in the making or operation of databases accessible by electronic means.
(Article 1: Scope)
- In accordance with this Directive, databases which, by reason of the selection or arrangement of their contents, constitute the author's own intellectual creation shall be protected as such by copyright. No other criteria shall be applied to determine their eligibility for that protection.
- The copyright protection of databases provided for by this Directive shall not extend to their contents and shall be without prejudice to any rights subsisting in those contents themselves.
(Article 3: Object of protection )