Portfolio, Programme, and Project Offices†
PURPOSE OF THIS GUIDE
The purpose of the Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (P3O) guidance is to provide universally applicable guidance, including principles, process and techniques, that will enable individuals and organizastions to successfully establish, develop and maintain (or in some cases re-energize) appropriate support structures that will facilitate:
- Informing senior management's decision-making on prioritization, risk management, and deployment of resources across the organization to successfully deliver their business objectives (portfolio management)
- Identification and realization of outcomes and benefits via programmes and projects
- Delivery of programmes and projects within time, cost, quality and other organizational constraints.
The P3O model will provide a focal point for defining a balanced portfolio of change and ensuring consistent delivery of programmes and projects across an organization or department. It could successfully take many forms, all of which are explored in this guidance - from a single all-encompassing physical office to a virtual office made up of a permanent Portfolio Office supported by permanent hubs or temporary Programme/Project Offices.
In summary, the guidance seeks to answer the questions:
- Why have any form of P3O?
- What is P3O?
- What services/functions should be offered?
- How to set up and operate a P3O model?